Public Records

Public Records Policy

The City of Chipley’s policy is to retain public records in accordance with Florida Law. It is also the policy of the city to allow any person to access public records in accordance with Florida law.

What is A Public Record?

Currently, “public records” means all documents, papers, letters, maps, books, tapes, photographs, films, sound recordings, data processing software, or other material, regardless of the physical form, characteristics, or means of transmission, made or received pursuant to law or ordinance or in connection with the transaction of official business by any agency. (Florida Statute 119.011(12))

By way of example, computer records, e-mails, social media entries, tape recordings, text messages, voicemails, and instant messages are public records when they are made or received by a city employee in connection with official city business and are used to perpetuate, communicate, or formalize knowledge.

Public Record Requests

Public records requests can be directed to the City Clerk’s Office at the Chipley City Hall.

There are many ways that you can make a public records request, including:
  • In person (verbally or in writing)
  • Email
  • Telephone call
  • In writing via mail service (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.)
You have the right to remain anonymous, but please be aware that staff may ask for your name and/or contact information in order to follow up with you later.


State law has designated certain materials or information as exempt or confidential. If the public record contains confidential information, that information must be redacted before the remaining information can be released. Depending on the volume of records that require review for such exempt or confidential information, a special service charge may be assessed. To view what qualifies as an exemption, please view Florida’s Government in the Sunshine Manual, as provided by the Florida Attorney General.

Please feel free to stop by, call or email the City Clerk’s Office if you have any questions or if you need any additional information regarding Public Records.